WHAT IS MICRONEEDLING?
Micro-Needling, also referred to as Dermal Needling or Meso Therapy, is skin rejuvenating, anti-aging and hydrating treatment. It works by creating thousands of tiny punctures in the skin, stimulating the production of collagen, which is the body’s natural way to repair skin. During the treatment, serums with active ingredients such as hyaluronic acid, antioxidants (Vit C) and other nutrient-rich ingredients are placed into deeper layers of the skin for optimal skin cell nourishment to improve hydration, stimulate collagen, and repair the skin tissue.
Micro-Needling is effective in treating acne scars, stretchmarks, plumping fine lines and wrinkles, tightening loose facial skin and enlarged pores, discoloration and promoting healthy skin. It can also be used in delicate areas such as under the eye, around the lips and on the neck.
The procedure takes about 30 minutes to an hour, depending on the treatment area. The healing time will take between a few days within a week. The redness and swelling will go away within 24 hours. Aftercare instructions will be given to patient to take home for proper care. For optimal results, 3 or more sessions are recommended, 4-6 weeks apart. To maintain the results, consider Micro Needling treatment 2 -3 times per year.
Who is a good candidate for Microneedling?
Any patient with:
• Fine lines or moderate wrinkles, uneven texture of the skin
• Moderate loose skin
• Diminished texture,
• Uneven tone/discoloration
• acne scars
• Stretch marks
• Traumatic scars
• Sun damage
Who is NOT a good candidate for Microneedling?
Any patient with:
• Keloid scars
• Scleroderma, collagen vascular diseases or fungal infection
• Pregnant or nursing
• History of severe eczema
• Psoriasis and other chronic conditions
Relative contraindications that can be managed through the procedure:
• History of Herpes Simplex infections (can be managed with medication prescribed before first procedure)
• History diabetes
• Presence of raised moles or warts on the targeted area (can be avoided)
Are there side effects to microneedling?
After the procedure, the skin will be red and flushed in appearance in a similar way to a moderate sunburn. You may also experience skin tightness and mild sensitivity to touch on the area being treated. The skin’s redness will diminish greatly after a few hours following the treatment. Within 24 hours, the surface of the skin typically appears and feels more normal. After three days, the skin is often healed and your normal appearance fully restored. For the first three days, it is important to avoid sun exposure and sweaty activity.
Numbing cream is applied prior to the microneedling treatment to minimize any pain that is felt during the procedure. Patients typically find it to be quite tolerable.
Is there downtime required to recover from the procedure? What is the aftercare?
Expect redness or even pinpoints of bleeding on days one-three after the procedure. By day two, most patients look like they have a sunburn and they may be dry. The skin is usually fully recovered by day four after the procedure.
The skincare regimen noted below will help soothe the skin:
• If you have any signs or symptoms of a cold sore, please call ahead of time so that we can prescribe you an antiviral medication.
• Avoid sweaty gym workouts/exercise, hospital settings where you might be exposed to an infection, dirty jobs (like cleaning the bathroom, etc.) for three days after the procedure.
• No mineral sunscreen or makeup (containing Zinc or Titanium) for two days after the procedure, try to avoid the sun during this time and use a hat instead of SPF.
• No vitamin C serum or retinoids for four days after the procedure.
• No glycolic acid for four days after the procedure.
• Men: Avoid shaving for three-four days after the procedure (you may start shaving when your skin does not feel irritated anymore).
Additional skincare tips after microneedling:
• Wash with a gentle cleanser.
• Apply Hyaluronic Acid Serum every two-three hours for the remainder of the first day and continue through the next two days.